Before you roll your eyes at me and say “not another healthy ball recipe” and silently think I’m one basic betch (which, I do admit myself than I am in fact, 100% a #basicbetch) I have to let you know that I originally had no intention of sharing this recipe with the world.
BUT that would seriously be one tragic nonexistent blog post because friends, these are damn good. I ate the entire first perfected batch within 48 hours. Sorry, marathon training makes you want to eat three houses and four garages. Life goes on.
I was craving a few bites of doughy cookie goodness but with all my favorite superfoods – goji berries, coconut flakes, and chocolate chips (which, in a health nut’s state of mind, is basically nature’s candy).
Okay, so chocolate chips isn’t a superfood. Technically, cacao powder is, but chocolate chips are deliciously and cute and what is a cookie dough without chocolate chips? Seriously can’t even with you guys!
I added brown rice krispy cereal from One Degree Organics for that extra texture. It’s like both your childhood favorite desserts combined into one (cookie dough + rice krispy treats) to form an healthier, adult version of a super dessert. (it’s not just a healthy dessert, it’s a cool and trendy and healthyish ball shaped dessert). Does quoting Mean Girls age you? If so, then then I am 23 going on ancient because the movie is going on eleven years strong and I haven’t stopped quoting it. You too?
And have you guys worked with spelt flour before? As you can see, it’s quite common around my kitchen. It’s a softer version of wheat flour so your recipes come out with this dreamy doughy texture, which is what I am all about. It’s also a few grams higher in protein if that’s your cup of tea, but seriously, run out to your bulk bins and grab a bag to play with. Cookie dough is like play dough for adults. Except you can actually eat it – growing up does have its perks!
- 1 cup spelt flour*
- 1/2 cup brown krispy rice cereal
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup creamy almond butter
- 1/4 coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- *Additions: 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes, 1/4 cup goji berries
- In a large mixing bowl, combine spelt flour, coconut flour, almond flour, and brown krispy rice cereal.
- In a separate bowl, mix together almond butter, coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla extract.
- Add liquid mixture to flour mixture. Slowly combine the mixtures together - the more you stir, the more the texture will begin to form.
- Fold in chocolate chips, goji berries, and coconut flakes into the dough. Roll into bite sized pieces.
- Place in freezer for 15 minutes before serving. Sneak a bite before.
- Store in freezer.
- *Feel free to sub in superfoods of choice
- **I've also tried this with oat flour. It works, but spelt flour forms more of that "doughy" consistency, which is what I recommend!