If it’s anything I have learned from the past 22 years of life (besides how to concoct Jell-O shots of champs and make cookies out of chickpeas) it’s that no matter what birthday it is, the best feeling is surrounding it with the ones you love most (and birthday breakfasts).
Having a significant support system is something that helps me stay inspired to pursue my goals. People who are there for you at the end of the day and still believe in you and your somewhat (lofty) dreams. Because come on, who is going to bail you out when the going gets tough? And you know as well as I do, that the going, gets realllyyyyy tough – life happens! People who love you for your quirkiness and weird habits, who put up with you despite the fact that you talk their ears off about the origin of cacao nibs and how to blend up green smoothies that taste like chocolate.
I like to think that the beauty in having such an awesome support system is that everyone in your group is celebrating YOU. The fact that you always pick the red M&Ms or the fact that you always put your right shoe on first. I love that no two persons share the same little quirks that make us distinct!
I cannot express enough the amount of gratitude I have for the support I received in just the past year alone. And thank you, for embracing my quirks and random ramblings. There’s beauty in everyone’s individual habits – and that’s what makes them lovable and unique to us – isn’t that something that should be celebrated?
Since I just celebrated my 22nd birthday a few days ago, I’d like to share today a handful of my quirks with you. One of my goals for this blog is for you to get to know me a little bit better. (Nutritious) food is always included, I promise. And if you make it to the end, for the love of random, you do love me – cause there is 22 of them! (Feelin’ the 22 theme? Taylor Swift would be proud.)
1. I originally wanted to be dentist. I obviously decided to pursue Nutrition instead, but I still am absolutely 100% on top of my dental game. Pearly whites, that’s where it’s at. And healthy gums. Floss yo’ teeth, kids. Smiles are one of the first things I notice when I meet someone!
2. I have one younger brother – he’s 15 going on 16. Just like that to the tune from the Sound of Music, minus the fact that he won’t (ever) watch the movie.
3. I LOVE mornings. I need that quiet time for myself to stay sane. If I’m not getting my workout in, I’m off somewhere reading the news, eating breakfast, and sipping tea. I’m a total early bird – I can never sleep in! Which also means I’m pretty much Grandma status and can fall asleep on you by 10:30pm.
4. Sometimes I have multiple outfit changes during the day. Gotta have options. And I like my options.
5. I shower before I go to bed, every single night. Doesn’t matter how many times I have showered earlier that day, I still have to hop in and rinse off before bed! I also NEVER leave on any makeup before sleeping – I am so adamant about it!
6. I’m 5’6. So amazingly average.
7. Celebrity gossip…is my guilty pleasure. I’m an avid E! News fan and go through issues of US Weekly like no other.
8. I love snail mail. Seriously, postcards make my day like no other! Oh, and packages (literally, any package)…..be still my heart.
9. I’m actually the worst at social media. No, really. To this day, I believe I’ve uploaded on average 5 profile pictures on Facebook and refuse to get on unless I’m procrastinating. It’s a work in progress.
10. I love oranges, but can’t stand orange flavored things.
11. Birds freak me out. Seriously, why do they fly so close to my car these days? Have they no decency to yield?!
12. I journaled a ton growing up. I still have stacks of old journals in my basement from writing throughout elementary, middle, and beginning of high school. I’m still no good at writing – I’m more of a rambler!
13. I played volleyball throughout middle & high school and miss it so much – setters, where you at?
14. My collection of Nike Tempos is out. of. control. Damn you Academy for having those $21.99 sales. I’m a sucker for sales!
15. I won a Teen Vogue sweepstakes when I turned 16 and now am the proud owner of 25 different colored solid Lacoste polos. I wore a ton of polos growing up. Yep, so that kid. (Still wear them on occasion!)
16. Love, love to read. Embracing my bookworm status since 92′. Current reads: anything Michael Pollan. J.Crew catalogs also count. (C,mon!)
17. One of my life goal’s is to run a full marathon – circumstances have prevented me in the past, but oh, it is so, so happening.
18. My parents have a green thumb and it makes me incredibly giddy to watch them in our backyard, gardening and harvesting almost every morning. And what’s better than fresh tomatoes and cucumbers in the summer? Oh, and figs. Fresh figs!!!
19. Groceries. One trip or bust. My dad is the same way. The apple never falls far from the tree!
20. As much of a health nut as I am, when Grandma makes bakes a homemade pie from scratch, you can’t say no to a slice (or two).
21. When my mind is set on something, I make it happen. Excuses happen when you don’t want it badly enough. I never just settle – I like to dream pretty big!
22. Favorite way to unwind? A good long run followed by a smoothie & a Netflix binge. Been there, done that, times a million. And it never gets old.